Donate Now

May 29, 2023

Everything You Need to Know About Transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill

Did you know that you can transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill to your immediate family members? Allowing career service members to turn over their post-service education benefits to their spouses and kids has always been one of the most requested items among military family readiness and advocacy groups. Thanks to the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability program, the request has finally been granted.

Keep reading to learn if you’re eligible for the program, the recipients of the Bill transfer and the education benefits they’ll get, as well as details on using these benefits. But first, let’s have a quick refresher on what the Post-9/11 GI Bill is all about.


What Is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is an educational assistance program enacted by Congress for individuals with active duty service after September 10th, 2001. It provides up to 36 months of education benefits, helping them pay for school or job training fees.


Who Are Eligible to Transfer?

To qualify, you must be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and an active member of the Armed Forces on or after August 1st, 2009. You must also:

  • Have at least six years of service and agree to serve for another four years;
  • Have at least 10 years of service and cannot commit to four more years due to regulation.

Keep in mind that you MUST transfer all benefits while you’re still serving in the Armed Forces. A good rule of thumb is to make your transfer request at least a year out from separation or retirement. That way, you have the reassurance that it will be approved before you get out.


Who Can Receive the GI Bill Benefits?

If you’re eligible to transfer benefits, you can transfer them to your spouse, one or more of your children, or any combination of spouse and child. However, they must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS).

Ex-spouses and children no longer defined as dependents based on IRS tax stipulations are not eligible, and thus won’t be approved as recipients for the Bill transfer.


What Are the Benefits of Post-9/11 GI Bill Transferability?

So, what education benefits are in store for the recipient/s of your GI Bill transferability? Find out below:

  • Tuition and fees. These include the full cost of public and in-state tuition and fees. The VA will also cap the rates for private and foreign schools.
  • Money for books and supplies. Recipients can get up to the maximum stipend per school year.
  • Money for housing. If they’re in school more than half-time, the VA will base their monthly housing allowance on the cost of living where their school is located.
  • Money to help move from a rural area to go to school. They may qualify for a one-time payment if they live in a county with six or fewer people per mile and they’re moving at least 500 miles to go to school.

You’re free to transfer any remaining portion of your GI Bill entitlement. You can even transfer all of them if you haven’t used any.


What Are the Rules on Using Transferred GI Bill Benefits?

Your spouse:

  • May start using their benefits immediately;
  • May use their benefits while you’re in service or after you get out;
  • Can’t get the monthly housing allowance while you’re still on active duty;
  • Has 15 years from your discharge to avail themselves of their benefits if you got out of the military before January 1st, 2013. Any date beyond that requires no time limit.

Your child:

  • May use their benefits only after you have completed at least 10 years of service;
  • May use their benefits while you’re on active duty or after getting out;
  • Can’t use their benefits until they have a high school diploma or certificate, or they have turned 18;
  • Can get the monthly housing allowance even though you are on active duty;
  • Can only use the transferred benefits until they are 26 years old.


Here’s How You Can Come to the Aid of Your Community’s Suffering Veterans

The VA isn’t the only agency or organization that assists former service members in need. Other organizations, such as Veteran Car Donations and its nonprofit partners, have also been working tirelessly for years to ensure that our nation’s struggling veterans and their families get to live the decent and fulfilling lives they deserve.

However, we at Veteran Car Donations cannot succeed in our mission without the support of our donors. That’s why we’re here to seek your support. All we ask is for you to donate to us any vehicle you no longer need. We will use your donation to improve the living conditions of the underprivileged former service members in your local area.

Our team will auction off your donated vehicle, with the proceeds going to our veteran-focused and IRS-certified 501(c)(3) charity partners. These are reputable nonprofit organizations that are dedicated to helping former U.S. service members who have become homeless and impoverished, those who can’t find decent jobs, and those who are suffering from service-connected disabilities and serious illnesses, including mental health issues.

Our nonprofit partners use the funding we give them to provide their beneficiaries with housing and financial assistance, employment and livelihood opportunities, family support, free quality health care and medical treatment, psychotherapy services, scholarships, and many other benefits.

You’ll also benefit from your charitable contribution. We’ll pick up and tow your vehicle at no cost to you anywhere in the country. You’ll also have the privilege to claim the maximum tax deduction in the next tax season.

However, these material rewards may pale in comparison to the priceless joy of knowing that you’re doing something that will give needy veterans the help they need to get back on their feet.

Since we’re willing to accept nearly all vehicle types, feel free to donate whatever vehicle you have regardless of its age and condition.

To learn more about Veteran Car Donations, including our quick and easy donation process, check out our FAQs page. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to call us anytime through our toll-free hotline at 877-594-5822 or message us here.


Join Us in Restoring the Dignity of Our Hurting Heroes Today!

Are you ready to join us in transforming the lives of our nation’s hurting heroes? Your car donation will help restore the dignity of those who risked their lives to protect us and safeguard our liberties. Call Veteran Car Donations at 877-594-5822 or fill out this secure donation form now! 

Veteran Car Donations operates in all 50 states.

Donate Now

Or call (877) 594-5822!