March 8, 2018
Gender Equality Month: Time to Focus on Basic Human Rights and How We Can Promote It
March has been designated as Gender Equality Month as an extension of the observance of International Women’s Day on March 8. Both events serve to underscore gender equality as a basic human rights principle.
Gender equality is the right of men and women to have the same opportunities to achieve significant goals in society, such as in the fields of education and employment, and to make contributions in society that will add to their nation’s social, political, and cultural development. Gender equality means that the behavior, ambitions, and needs of both men and women ought to be equally appreciated and respected.
Why Is Gender Equality Important
Gender Equality is not only a basic human right but a crucial element as well for building a peaceful, prosperous, and sustainable world.
Half of the world’s population of 7.58 billion (as of Jan. 1, 2018, according to Country Meters,info) is represented by women and girls, which is about 3.75 billion. This means that these women make up half of the world’s potentials for growth.
If we want to make our world a better place to live in, we need stricter observance of gender equality. We can make use of the potentials that women and girls possess. Allowing women and girls to have equal access to education, healthcare, work, and political representation and to make decisions on economic processes is projected to increase sustainable economies that will benefit all societies.
Here are the projected achievements arising from the stricter observance of gender equality:
- Reduce poverty
- Promote agriculture and reduce world hunger
- Improve employment opportunities
- Contribute to economic growth
U.N.’s Development Goals Based on Gender Equality
To achieve gender equality worldwide and in observance of Gender Equality Month, the United Nations has listed down measures that every country is encouraged to adopt and implement:
- End every form of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere;
- Remove all types of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, which include trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation;
- Remove all damaging practices like child, early, and forced marriages and female genital mutilation;
- Guarantee women’s complete and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political and public life;
- Guarantee collective access to sexual and reproductive health and rights;
- In accordance with national laws, undertake reforms to provide women equal rights to economic resources, including ownership and control of land and other forms of property, financial amenities, inheritance, and natural resources;
- Develop the use of enabling technology, specifically information and communications technology, to promote women empowerment;
- Strengthen state policies and enforce legislation for the overall improvement of gender equality
Serving Veterans on Gender Equality Month
Veteran Car Donations is also concerned about gender equality in helping rebuild the lives of our veterans using the funds generated by our vehicle donations program. We help provide much-needed assistance to our struggling former servicemen and women, together with their families.
Using the funds we provide them, our non-profit organization partners are able to deliver to our needy veterans such services as:
- Mental and physical healthcare;
- Transitioning assistance after their return home from overseas deployment;
- Building mortgage-free and specially adapted homes for those who suffered severe service-related injuries and are now handicapped;
- Job training programs to increase their chances of getting a job;
- Grief counseling sessions to the spouses and families of those who perished in combat
We make sure that both men and women among the ranks of our veterans are treated and assisted equally not just during the observance of Gender Equality Month but through all the days of the year. Gender bias is absolutely out of the question since this will only defeat our purpose of providing vital services to our veterans, our nation’s heroes.
Honor Our Veterans With Your Car Donations
In observance of Gender Equality Month and to honor our veterans who made numerous personal sacrifices in some foreign battlefields to protect our freedom and our nation’s security, we encourage you to donate your old car or any other vehicle that you want to dispose of to us at Veteran Car Donations. We use the proceeds from your car donations solely for the benefit of our veterans. We will provide you a most rewarding donation experience where several benefits await you, including a top tax deduction!